Eating what you catch.

It’s been a strange few days. This morning, was the storm to end all storms. At 5am, in my unconscious state, I dreamed that I hid under the bed from the bombs. It truly was a storm.

I caught my first Octopus yesterday, and traded it at the beach restaurant for a rice dish. I was truly happy. It was back-to-basic honest, hard work and trade.

Tonight I caught a 3-4kg cuttlefish. And, boy do they fight on the rod. Spraying ink at every surface moment, thrashing tentacles. In the dark, I did not know what it was, and started to panic a little bit. It was far too big and wild for a squid surely? But no. So, I cut away the jig, and placed it in my bucket of sea water, excited and driven, tripping and slipping back to the beach restaurant to do one big trade. It received Oooohs! & Aaahhhhs! and Holy Shits!, and none of the workers wanted to pick it up, until the chef struts over and cleanly grabs it in one hand and raises it up in the air like a beating heart.

Smiles, and giggles, and back slaps all round, and then, “Now you will eat!!”.

And I ate.

and I have never eaten so much squid in my life. Sweet & Sour cuttlefish, with rice and Iced tea for free.

Tomorrow, I will probably fish again. however, I explained that the next one is for their keeping.

It is a strange strange experience, catching, killing, gutting, and cooking what you then eat, in the space of 30 minutes. It’s the thought processes involved, and the inability to separate the wriggly creature, from the tasty dish. but I did it, and it was delicious.
I even worry about the possibility of poisoning, even though it is without a doubt the freshest meat I have ever consumed. It is a strange strange experience never to be forgotten. a 50 ringgit lump of seafood in my belly. I become a man. Roaaaar!

Happy Valentine’s day. x

0 comments:

Post a Comment