Inland Empire.

Without doing my homework, and analysing. Just shooting from the hip I can gather a few things from this movie. I can recollect that there are two languages used in the film; English and Polish. I also know that there was Laura Dern in it, and any form or attempt at dialogue takes place involving her. I can't tell you her character's name for certain. Was it Sue? Or, Kelly? And neither can I tell you why she had the letters LB stamped on her hand near the end of the film. As a matter of fact, I can't really explain most of it. I know it was clearly a traumatic absurd horror of a movie which included classic absurd imagery and sound such as grating violins, exposed lightbulbs, rabbit people ironing, time & confusion of it, nonesensical dialogue, and old people with close up wrinkles talking in tongue.
There is the horror element. screwdivers, long corridors with bare cold walls, red lampshades, exposed lightbulbs, dark staircases, randomness, horror shock moments,  flash strobes,  characters looking still & haunting then, charging the camera lens and changing into blood dripping clowns - for no apparent reason. A man with a lightbulb in his mouth walking emptily towards Laura Dern, Gypsy people, Eastern European mobster looking dudes, drunks, Hollywood hookers, but I can't stop thinking about the hollywood set of girls. They had "I'm in a David Lynch movie" written all over their over priviliged faces - then they click their fingers and start dancing to the locomotion after discussing a pair of tits. I know it was filmed in Poland & Hollywood. I know Jeremy Irons was a character in it as a director. I knew some of the actors were not at all actors, but got lucky somehow. But, why did the homeless crackheads start discussing the bus timetable, and her friend with a hole in her vagina wall whilst Laura Dern lay dying after being stabbed with a screwdriver, only for the camera to pull back past another camera and to hear 'Cut!', to reveal it was just a movie scene. I'd like to say that nothing about it makes any sense, but I kept thinking that my life is like that, so why should a film, or anything for that matter have to make any sense? Isn't truth about reality endorsed when you embrace another's absurdism? Life is like that. It's like a film ending with a one legged hooker on crutches seductively whispering "sweet!" whilst a dance group do the rumba and a lumberjack saws through a log in the middle of the Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel lobby with strobe lights flashing. I'd like to say that it has no meaning. But, it does. It it the artists impression of absurdity, and therefore interpretation extends from that. Dali placed ants & melting clocks as a way of symbolising whatever it was he wanted. Some speculate about understanding conciousness, personal childhood trauma, rigidity of time & dimensionality. But we can only really speculate. I could slap you in the face with a large salmon, but you may think it is a gesture of affection.
I must admit that it is the first movie in years where I have had to take off the headphones for a moment to calm myself. The variation in audio shock is unpredictable. There are many many moments where you will sit and tell yourself that there is a horror shock comming...any second now...any second...But, it doesn't come, and you drift to the red lampshade for a split second too long, and then WHAM! flashing white sparks and shrill screams followed by a French clown followed by an old Gypsy man muttering with his finger writing a spell, whilst a family of rabbit people sit and watch television beneath canned laughter. And, I can't decide whether or not to shit my pants, vomit, cry, run, jump out the window, pee, call my Mom, or just shake violently. No good feeling came out of the movie, except it did. And, im sorry for not answering your call Erica but I wouldn't have been much conversation, and to attempt to explain my present trauma to you, would have probably made you hang up on me. I hope you forgive me. hahaha!

0 comments:

Post a Comment